This Cheese Ball recipe is an easy appetizer that’s a crowd pleaser too! Made with cream cheese, bacon cheddar, green onions and nuts, it’s loaded with flavor.
Table of Contents
One of my saving graces during the holidays is those super simple appetizers that everyone can snack on while you’re whipping up the main event. This Cheese Ball is one of those recipes!
This recipe takes no more than 10 minutes to prep and is so deliciously rich, creamy, cheesy, and flavorful. It also looks impressive, which is a total bonus. No one has to know it only took a few minutes. 😉
This recipe is also easy to make ahead of time, can be stored in the freezer, and can also be doubled or tripled to serve an even bigger crowd. Heck yes!
- Bacon: use thick-cut, chopped bacon. You can use thin cut, but you’ll want to add a couple extra slices.
- Cream Cheese: use a block of cream cheese rather than the tub so that it holds up and keeps its shape.
- Sour Cream or Mayonnaise: sour cream will lighten things up a bit, while mayonnaise will be richer. Either one is delicious.
- Sriracha Sauce: to add flavor without a lot of spice (trust me!).
- Dried Parsley: herbs and cheese just go together!
- Worcestershire Sauce: adds a little bit of tangy richness.
- Garlic Powder: because everything is better with garlic.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: cheddar is the usual choice, but you can really use any cheese you’ve got in your fridge that can be shredded. Stay away from soft cheeses because we want our ball to hold its shape.
- Green Onions or Chives: for some freshness and color.
- Pecans or Walnuts: chopped nuts add a delicious crunch to the appetizer.
How to Make this Cheese Ball Recipe
This recipe takes a quick 10 minutes to prep. It’s the perfect quick and easy appetizer for your next party!
- Combine: In a bowl, beat cream cheese, sour cream, Sriracha, parsley, Worcestershire, and garlic powder.
- Add in half the cooked bacon, shredded cheese, and two tablespoons green onions.
- Shape and roll: On a plate, mix the rest of the bacon, green onions, and nuts. Shape the cream cheese mix into a ball and roll it in the bacon/nut mix to coat.
- Chill and serve: Refrigerate for 1 hour, then serve as desired.
Cheese Ball FAQs
A Cheese Ball is made with a cream cheese and sour cream base that’s loaded up with cheddar cheese, seasonings, and nuts for a little crunch.
A cheese ball is like a cream cheese dip, but served as a ball instead of in a bowl. So, serve it however you would a cream cheese dip. With crackers, toasted bread, pretzels, veggies, etc.
A finished Cheese Ball can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a week or so, assuming all of your ingredients are nice and fresh. The longer it sits, though, the softer the nuts will get. It can also be wrapped tightly and frozen for up to 1 month. When you’re ready to serve, simply thaw it in the fridge.
Tips and Notes
- Let the bacon cool completely. Once the bacon is cooked and crisped, give it time to cool before you add it to the cream cheese mixture. If it’s too hot, it will just melt the cream cheese.
- Double or triple. This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled if you’re serving a larger crowd. Plan accordingly!
- Don’t leave it out too long. Remember, this appetizer is just a big ol’ ball of dairy products. So, it can sit out while you’re serving it for a couple of hours, but I don’t recommend leaving it out longer than that.
Serve your Cheese Ball just like you would serve any cream cheese dip! Surround it with your favorite crackers, pita chips, freshly sliced veggies, pretzels, you name it.
It’s also really good just eaten with a spoon. Not that I tried that though. 😉
More Cheesy Dip Recipes You’ll Love
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Easy Cheese Ball Recipe
- 4 slices thick cut bacon (chopped)
- 250 grams cream cheese (8 oz or 1 package)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onions or chives
- ¼ cup toasted pecans or walnuts (chopped)
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crispy. Place on paper towels to drain and allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, sour cream, sriracha sauce, parsley, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder until smooth and combined.
- Stir in half of the cooked bacon, shredded cheese, and 2 tablespoons green onions.
- On a plate, combine remaining bacon, remaining green onions, and nuts.
- Shape cream cheese mixture into a ball and roll in the bacon mixture to coat. (If this is difficult, you can wrap and refrigerate the cheese ball for one hour before rolling in the coating and serving or refrigerating further.)
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel
Dana M Johnson says
No. But why don’t you ever have any comments posted?? It helps to read other opinions/changes, etc.
michelle perry says
what happens if you don’t have siracha sauce what can you substitute instead for it cos I don’t use that stuff for anything so don’t buy it can I use something else instead or just leave it out?
The Recipe Rebel says
Hi Michelle! You can just leave it out! Hope you enjoy it!
The Recipe Rebel says
Hi Dana! Uhm, you were the very first person who commented on this brand new recipe! There are 36,000 comments total on all of my post on this site, I’d love for you to poke around and read what others have to say. Hope you enjoy this recipe!